Saturday, November 6, 2010

Quick Breakfast Idea - Muffin Melts

English Muffin Melts


Breakfast is the one meal that is usually a constant for us. We usually eat eggs (either omelets or an egg english muffin) and when it gets colder we like Oatmeal (recipe for good oatmeal to follow soon). I don't change it up too much so when I do, I have a lot of expectation. I made these English Muffin Tops from Pioneer Woman and they were delicious! It made enough for 4 days worth of breakfast for Ryan and I. Can't beat that - a warm breakfast that takes only about 3 minutes to warm. Breakfast is my most favorite meal - I get to relax, watch some news, sip on coffee and just CHILL - have some "me" time.

Muffin Melts
Recipe from Pioneer Woman

  • Dozen Hard-boiled eggs - peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup organic grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 - 1 cup mayonnaise (experimenting with greek yogurt is a good idea also. The mayo is just a binder)
  • 6 - 12 slices of all natural bacon, cooked and roughly chopped into bite size pieces (if adding bacon to the whole recipe you will want 12, I only added the bacon to Ryan's portion so he only got 6 slices)
  • 1 Heaping TBS Dijon Mustard (good quality)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 3 dashes worcestershire sauce
  • 6 whole wheat English Muffins, split
Combine eggs with all other ingredients. Fold together gently. Cover and store overnight. Bright and early the next morning spread mixture on english muffin halves (one half is pretty filling FYI). Turn on your broiler and broil for 3 to 5 minutes until hot and bubbly. I will say that it was always closer to 3 minutes for me because I was only doing one english muffin at a time. I kept the mixture in the refrigerator for 4 days and it was still just as yummy on day 4!

Eat immediately and then enjoy your day knowing that you started off with a yummy breakfast. We enjoy eating them outside on our patio!

2 comments:

  1. Stupid question of the day...I assume you cook the bacon before adding with all other ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a stupid question.... stupid me for not putting "cooked" bacon. Yes, you cook it before then chop up into bite size pieces then add to the mixture. I clarified this in the recipe! Thanks for drawing attention to this!

    ReplyDelete