Monday, November 22, 2010

Creamy Pasta with Shrimp

I like thanksgiving but the week prior to thanksgiving I don't want sweet potatoes, beans, mashed potatoes, turkey, etc! I want a totally different cuisine, usually mexican or italian. I guess it is because I know that is what I will eat for one full day and then leftovers for the next couple of days. This meal will definitely provide your palate with a completely different taste than dressing or cranberries...


The Ingredients:

And the Finished Product! SO yummy

This recipe is delicious. I trust the Pioneer Woman and once again she does not fail! We made this last week and devoured it and I was actually thinking of making another batch, but that would be a bit obsessive! You need to serve it with a nice spinach salad to add some green to your life. I have had several friends make this and everyone raves over the ease of preparing this recipe and the yummy taste. And, for the BG's out there... I heard thru the grapevine that this might be your Christmas Dinner :)

Creamy Penne Pasta with Shrimp

From Pioneer Woman - Pasta a la Betsy

  • ¾ pounds Penne Pasta
  • 1 pound Shrimp
  • 3 Tablespoons Butter
  • 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 whole Onion (small), finely diced
  • 2 cloves Garlic, minced
  • ½ cups White Wine (or To Taste)
  • 1 can Tomato Sauce (8 Oz)
  • 1 cup Heavy Cream
  • Fresh Parsley, to taste
  • Fresh Basil - To Taste
  • Salt To Taste
  • Pepper To Taste

Preparation Instructions

Cook the penne pasta until al dente.

Peel, devein and rinse (under cool water) 1 pound of extra large shrimp (I bought the shrimp with a 26-31 count). Heat about 1 tbsp. butter and olive oil in a skillet. Add the shrimp and cook for a couple minutes until just opaque. Do NOT overcook them. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Now, put the cooked shrimp on the cutting board and pull off the tails. Chop the shrimp into bite –sized pieces and set aside.

Finely dice one small onion. Mince two cloves of garlic.
In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally. After the garlic and onions have cooked a bit add your white wine (then pour yourself a glass). Let the wine evaporate for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. If you would rather not use wine, you can use low-sodium chicken broth instead (about ½ cup).

Now add an 8-ounce can of plain tomato sauce. Stir well until combined. Then add 1 cup of heavy cream. Continue stirring. Turn heat down to low and let simmer.

Now chop your herbs, about a tablespoon of chopped parsley and about the same amount of chopped basil.

Add your chopped shrimp back into the tomato cream sauce. Give it a stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Throw in your herbs and stir until combined. Finally add your cooked penne pasta and give it a good stir. I also added a little bit of red pepper flakes cause I like things spicy!


This meal is delicious and everyone will love it! Just serve alongside something green!

2 comments:

  1. I made it last night! It was so good girl! Jake had it too & loved it. I kept hearing a noise each bite he took - I looked over & each piece of pasta he put in his mouth he sucked the cream sauce off of it and then threw the pasta in the floor! Thanks for sharing! Great Thanksgiving week meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you liked it and especially that Jake enjoyed it! If I wasn't a grown up I would just eat the cream sauce too!

    ReplyDelete