Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Broccoli and Portobello Sandwich Bake

The perfect lunch:


I love being able to have lunch at home. There are only a few creative things you can come up with for taking lunch to work, especially if you are limited and don't have a microwave or oven. Ryan loves taking leftovers, which is great, but I don't care much for leftovers other than once. He will eat the same thing for a week (good for me)!

I made this lunch yesterday in about 20 minutes. I was starving when I got home from teaching Pilates and almost picked something up. But, I talked myself out of it and sooooo glad that I did. This was simple yet so delicious. I am actually having it for dinner tonight!

Broccoli and Portobello Sandwich Bake

Adapted Recipe From Annie's Eats

- 1 head organic broccoli, cut into small, bite-size florets
- 1 TBS olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- 3-4 organic portobello mushrooms - stems removed, sliced thin
- 1 - 2 red bell peppers (I used green because that is what I picked from our garden) - seeded and sliced thin
- 4 thick slices of country bread (I used whole grain from Whole Foods)
- 2 oz (or more) provolone cheese, thinly sliced (I used deli slice)

for the sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle
- if you don't have Penzey's use a clove of garlic, minced very fine

On the side:
- 2 tbs pasta sauce


Directions:
Preheat broiler on high. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss the broccoli with olive oil and salt/pepper/red pepper flakes. Place on baking sheet and broil until the broccoli begins to brown, tossing once or twice, about 4-6 minutes.
Add the sliced mushroom and peppers to the pan with the broccoli and toss to combine. Broil until the veggies are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Make sure to toss once or twice in this time.

Combine the mayo with the penzey's spice or garlic. Take the country thick cut bread and spread the mayo mixture on top. Once the veggies are finished, top the bread with the veggies and add the cheese on top. Get a new piece of foil, lie the assembled sandwiches on, and put on baking sheet . Broil until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 2 -3 minutes. DON'T BURN! I liked mine dipped in warmed pasta sauce. DELICIOUS!

On a side note - there are so many variations that I have thought of in my mind. First of all, for all you non-mayo people, pesto would be awesome smeared on the bread. Also, you don't have to have the mayo if using a pasta sauce on the side. I am going to experiment with other veggies and types of cheese. I think mozzarella would be just as yummy as provolone.

Try this out, get creative with other veggies/cheese/sauces and let me know what you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment