Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving


The Ingredients:

Homemade Pie Crust!

PECAN PIE

There are many things in our lives to be thankful for. I am thankful to God to have a wonderful family and great friends. And another thing I am definitely thankful for it a delicious and perfect homemade pie crust! My client, Judith, makes the BEST pie crust and always adds embellishments to put on top. She made about 7 leaf embellishments and I ate 3 before baking.... This is my favorite part of course, unbaked pie crust!

What to do with a pie crust? Once again I followed Pioneer Woman... It is always good to go for the tried and true pioneer woman, after all she did have a Throwdown with Bobby Flay and WIN! This is my first time making Pecan pie so I followed her recipe... but I did add a bit of whiskey for good measure. As for the second pie crust... you will have to wait and see but it is definitely going to have chocolate involved!


  • 1 whole unbaked pie crust
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 Tbs brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup corn syrup
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cups melted butter (salted)
  • 3 whole eggs, beaten
  • 1-2 TBS bourbon/whiskey (I used Makers' Mark) - optional
  • 1 cup (heaping) chopped pecans
Directions:

Get pie crust ready (I ask Judith to make mine! But in the link above to the Pioneer Woman she has a pie crust recipe on there that you can use).
Mix sugar, brown sugar, salt, corn syrup, melted butter, beaten eggs, and vanilla in a bowl.
Pour chopped pecans in the bottom of the unbaked pie shell.
Then, pour the syrup mixture over the top. Cover top and crust lightly/gently with aluminum foil. Bake pie at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 20 minutes, being careful not to burn the crust or pecans.

Note: Pie should not be too jiggly when you remove it from the oven. If it is shaking a lot, cover with foil and bake for additional 20 minutes or until set. I had to cook mine for the additional 20 minutes because it wasn't even browned and it was super jiggly....

Allow to cool for several hours or overnight. Then, tell others what you are thankful for and enjoy your pie!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Safe travels and wonderful food to everyone. Will miss you mom :)

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful pie! You've such a little baker! Happy Thanksgiving to you, Ryan and your fams!

    ReplyDelete