Monday, June 6, 2011

Grilled Corn Salad and Vacation in Long Boat Key

Beautiful.... this guy liked me because I fed him one of the whiting that I caught

Johnny and his Grannie

Ryan and I

Memorial Day was spent at the beach. Long Boat Key is in my top 2 Florida beaches (Sanibel Island is the other). The water is so clear and there are lots of shells to find. I think one day we found 75 sand dollars along with a lot of olives and conchs. I also did a little bit of fishing and caught several whiting. Of course we did a lot of Seafood Eating. Our favorite restaurants include Crab and Fin, Salty Dog, AP Bells, Tommy Bahama, and Moore's Stone Crab. After spending a week in Long Boat Key, Florida with my family, I was ready to get back to Birmingham and try some new summer foods. The fresh vegetables and in-season fruits are about to be at their peak and this excites me!

Saturday and Sunday we cooked up lots of fresh food, most of which was cooked on my favorite "kitchen" tool, the Kamado Joe.
Fresh from Florida Corn
Grilled Corn Salad
Grilled Corn Salad
Recipe from Better Homes and Garden (July 2011 issue)

8 ear corn, shucked
6 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped (if you buy regular cucumber, make sure to seed it)
2 green onions (optional, I didn't use)
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
4 Tbs white balsamic vinegar
3 Tbs Olive oil
Cayenne pepper to taste (as desired for spice)

Directions:
Heat grill to medium high, around 375-400 degrees. Brush corn with a little olive oil. Grill corn until lightly browned, being sure to turn often. When cool, cut corn from the cobs.
Toss the corn with tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, vinegar, and the 3 TBS olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add a shake or two of cayenne pepper for a bit of spice! Toss together and marinate for 2 hours in the fridge.

This week I will be posting awesome shrimp kebabs that are to die for!

No comments:

Post a Comment