Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Watermelon Martinis for the 4th of July!!!


OH MY GOSH! Watermelon Martinis are amazing and this recipe does not fall short. I made these one day when heading up to the pool and they kept us refreshed. I like them because they are not overly sweet like some fruity martinis can be. Normally a mojito fan, it says a lot when I rave over a new drink! So, without further ado, here is the recipe:


Watermelon Martinis
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens June 2011 issue

Ingredients:
  • 5 cups watermelon cubes (Rind and seeds removed, I bought a seedless watermelon from Florida)
  • 3/4 cup orange or lemon vodka (my favorite orange Vodka is 4 Orange Vodka made from Florida oranges!)
  • 6 TBS fresh squeezed lime juice
  • 3 TBS cointreau or triple sec (I was out of both of these so used a fresh squeeze orange instead and added a touch more vodka to compensate)
  • 3 TBS sugar or 1 1/2 TBS agave nectar
  • 6 basil leaves
Directions: In a blender, place the cubes of watermelon and blend until very smooth. Pour the watermelon puree into a pitcher and keep this very cold (could even get it a little frozen to make it icy like a slushee but not frozen).
To make 2 martinis: add one cup of watermelon puree, 1/4 cup of the vodka, 2 TBS of lime juice, 1 TBS of cointreau or triple sec, and 1 TBS sugar to the blender. Add in a handful or so of ice cuber. Blend until slushy and serve immediately...
To make all 6 martinis: Combine all of the ingredients listed above and blend with ice

I love the taste of basil in drinks so I added a basil leaf into the martini glass! And if you made these ahead, I would stick the basil leaf into the watermelon puree to infuse, but would not blend it (this makes it a bit to "basily")!

No comments:

Post a Comment