Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What I have been cooking lately: Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits

I know it has been a while... call me lazy!  I still want to have an account where I post my favorite recipes so I can use and maybe you can too.  I cannot promise amazing pictures but I can say that the recipes I will post will be delicious:)

Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits


Ingredients:

3/4 cup grits - (you can use instant but I much prefer slow cooking grits) 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 TBS unsalted butter
1.5 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails off
2 garlic cloves, minced
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 lemon - juiced
zest of 1 lemon
1 lemon, wedges cut for serving
2 TBS roughly chopped fresh parsley
a splash of half and half

Directions:

Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.  Slowly whisk in the grits, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and continue to cook, about 20-30 minutes.  Note - follow the directions on your specific grit package for cooking for best results.  If your grits become too thick, simply add a couple splashes of half and half to the grits.  This will make them creamier!  When there is about 5 minutes left of cooking, stir in the parmesan and 1 TBS butter.  Remove from the heat and season as needed with salt and pepper to taste.  Cover to keep grits warm.

While the grits are cooking, this is when I peel the shrimp and get them ready for cooking.  When shrimp are peeled, season with salt and pepper.  I also added a little seasoning of lemon pepper.  When ready, melt 2 TBS butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the shrimp, garlic, and cayenne.  Cook 3-4 minutes, tossing until the shrimp are pink.  Remove the shrimp and set aside.

Remove the skillet from the heat and add 2 TBS water, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parsley.  At this point you may need to add about 1 more TBS of butter to help thicken your sauce - totally optional.  When sauce tastes right, place the shrimp back in the skillet and toss.

To serve:  Place grits on bottom and shrimp/sauce mixture on top.  Garnish with a touch more parsley and lemon wedges

This recipe was found and slightly adapted from Food Network.  And, there is a good picture there!  Win Win for me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment