Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Shrimp and Crab Corn Chowder



I am not one that absolutely loves uploading pictures so you know when I immediately get done with dinner and upload one it is because the recipe is that delicious.... This was very refreshing for a different summer meal and I loved the ease of making it. Let me know if you try this dish

Shrimp and Crab Corn Chowder

Recipe adapted from Cooking Light (August 2011)

Ingredients:
6 slices center cut bacon, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped (about 4-5 celery stalks)
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
2-3 cups fat free, low sodium vegetable broth
3/4 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
8 oz crab meat (I used claw meat but if you want to pay extra, use lump)
1/3 cup half and half
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt

Directions:
Heat a large dutch oven over med-high heat. Add the bacon and saute for 4 minute or until the bacon is just browning. Then remove a handful of the bacon and set aside to drain. Add the onion, celery, thyme, garlic to the pan and saute for another 2 minutes. Add corn and cook for 2 minutes stirring as needed. Then add the broth (I added closer to 3 because I like it more "soupy" than thick) then bring to a boil and cook for another 4 minutes.
Place 2 cups of the corn mixture in a blender (I used my vitamix). Secure lid on blender and blend until smooth. Return the pureed corn mixture to dutch oven. Stir in the shrimp and crab meat and cook for about 2 minutes until the shrimp are done. Stir in the half and half, pepper, and salt. Crumble the reserved bacon over soup

This makes 4 servings (1 and 2/3 cup per serving) for a total of 294 calories, 7 g fat, 26 grams protein, 34 grams of carb, and 4.3 g fiber

To note: The Cooking Light Recipe did not call for crab meat but I had a friend make it before I did and added the crab. I loved it and would always add the crab from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment