Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Roasted Potato Salad


I am from the South, I like mayonnaise and egg in my potato salad!  However, while looking for "healthy tailgating" recipes - I was given this recipe from my pilates' client.  This potato salad is so delicious that I have made it twice... yes 10 pounds of potatoes.  I have entertained with it and served it both warm and cold, it makes a delicious little snack also!  

Roasted Potato Salad:
5 lbs new potatoes (I have used red potatoes and red and white fingerling potatoes - both are good)
1 bunch fresh sage (about 1/2 cup sage leaves)
2-3 garlic cloves
1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbs finely chopped shallots
1 Tbs fresh thyme leaves

Place potatoes, sage, and garlic (clove left with skin on) on a large cookie sheet.  Drizzle 1/4 cup of the olive oil over this mixture and toss gently.  Bake at 450 degrees for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender and browned, stirring every 15 minutes.  Cool potatoes.  Then cut the potatoes in quarters.  Remove the garlic cloves, take out of skin and set aside.  Collect the sage leaves and crumble over potatoes, then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste (I like lots of pepper, limited salt).  Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, shallots, thyme, and the roasted garlic (mash so it can mix into the dressing).  Once well combined, drizzle over the potatoes.  Toss gently.  Can serve warm or chilled.  This yields approximately 15 servings, so be ready to share!

Sorry that it has been so long since I have blogged... things have been crazy busy around here which is typical for us during football season!  Also, my beautiful niece was born yesterday so I am here baby sitting my nephew and enjoying our time together!  Let me know if you try this recipe and enjoy the "healthier" type of potato salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment