Thursday, April 8, 2010

Crock Pot Pulled Chicken

Just a random picture of a night out with Mandi and Jared to Avo and Dram... Great food and drinks with our favorite couple!

This is a great simple and yummy recipe. It makes excellent lunches for us to take to work (plus, when you warm it up, your coworkers will come and check out what smells so delicious!)
I found it from one of my go-to blogs, http://ellysaysopa.com/.

Here is the recipe... I tweaked it a little because I didn't have Alleppo chili powder

Crock Pot Pulled Chicken, adapted from Elly Says Opa

1 (14 oz.) can tomato sauce
3 chipotles in adobo, finely minced, and 2 tsp. adobo sauce (YUM! This adds the heat!)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (I like Bragg's)
3 to 4 Tbsp. honey
1.5 Tbsp. smoked paprika
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. aleppo chili powder (Didn't have, can be found at Penzey's or just use chili powder)
3 lbs. boneless/skinless chicken thighs and breasts (I used all breasts)
1 large onion, thinly sliced in half circles (Vidalia please!)
4 cloves garlic, minced

Whisk together the first 11 ingredients (through aleppo chili powder). Place the chicken inside. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Scatter the onions and garlic evenly over the top, and then pour your homemade barbecue sauce over the top. Cook on low for 5 hours (I just let mine go all night while I was at sleeping, so closer to 10...yes I sleep 10 hours a night). Shred the chicken with two forks and, if desired, continue to cook for a little bit with the lid off to allow mixture to thicken.

OK- when I woke up in the morning, the house smelled amazing, and made me want to get out of bed to go taste this new recipe! It is amazing. It is spicy, but not where you have to have a few glasses of water with it, but if you have kiddies, you might want to lessen the chipotle peppers, just a thought as I don't have kids and not sure if they eat spicy stuff!

I served this alongside Potato Salad... It is a very traditional southern potato salad, simple and easy. I make it like my mom does, except using mayo instead of Miracle Whip. My friend Mandi was down when I was making the 'tater' salad and she makes it like my mom does! Although, I cooked the potatoes too long and had "sweet" relish, and only discovered once I thought that all the ingredients were in there that I had forgotten the boiled eggs (BEST PART!)! Mandi's potato salad takes me back to many good memories of when my mom made it! OK, so potato salad recipe will become available if requested! Leave a comment!


1 comment:

  1. Love this photo of you two!! crock pot chicken is definitely going on the list for when CL gets back - sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete