Vanilla Bean Ice Cream - From the Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
- 1 cup organic milk
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 cups organic sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (I used a vanilla bean from Penzey's)
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups organic heavy cream
1. Heat the milk, salt, and sugar in a saucepan. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the milk with the tip of a paring knife. Add the bean pod to the milk.
2. Stir together the egg yolks in a bowl and gradually add some of the warmed milk, stirring constantly as you pour. Pour the warmed yolks back into the saucepan.
3. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom with a heat-resistant spatula until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula. Strain the custard into the heavy cream. Rinse the vanilla bean and put it back into the custard and cream to continue steeping. Chill completely, then remove the vanilla bean and freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions.
As soon as it is ready, get ready to dive into the most delicious vanilla ice cream! Ryan loves it and requests is all the time! This recipe is a keeper. Please enjoy this ice cold ice cream while watching the beautiful butterflies in your backyard (until your dog chases the butterfly away!)