Monday, August 23, 2010

Granola


I made this Granola a week or so ago and I am still munching on it. I loved the taste and I also split the recipe in half.... just a thought cause even half a recipe makes a ton!

Mom's Granola - From the Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone

Ingredients:
6 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup maple sugar (too expensive... I used regular sugar)
3/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sesame or sunflower seeds (I used sunflower because that is what I had in pantry)
1 cup chopped nuts or raisins (I did 1/2 nuts and 1/2 raisins)
1/2 cup craisins or another dried fruit
1/2 cup safflower oil
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions:
Preheat over to 350

Spread the oats on baking pan and bake for 10 minutes. Transfer the oats to large mixing bowl, add the sugar, wheat germ, coconut, seeds, nuts, raisins, and dried fruit. Stir to mix well, then add the oil, syrup, vanilla extract and combine until everything is moistened.

Spread one layer on baking sheet, may have to bake in 2 batches if using the whole recipe. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring half-way thru to ensure even browning.

Allow the baked granola to cool on the pans, then place in airtight container and stir the granola until crumbly!

Enjoy! This was a great snack option, light and healthy. I liked the flavor a lot. Let me know if you try this and what you might add it to!

No comments:

Post a Comment