Monday, June 14, 2010

Summer time = Kabob time

Chicken and Vegetable Kabobs


When it is really hot and humid outside, it makes me think of grilling everything! We just recently finished out back porch extension (although, it is still a work in progress) and now we love to sit outside and enjoy our backyard. Of course, Tucher loves it because he gets lots more attention and gets to catch more frisbees! When we get everything situated just like we like it, I will post some pics of the new porch!

One of our favorite meals to grill are these chicken kabobs. They are delicious and very healthy.

Chicken and Vegetable Kabobs:
1 1/2 lb chicken breast
3 Tbs olive oil or canola oil
1/4 cup honey mustard
zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbs red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb button mushrooms
1 eggplant, cut into bite size chunks
2 bell peppers (I like yellow, orange, or red- a mixture makes it more colorful)
1 vidalia onion, cut into large pieces
2 zucchini, cut into bite size chunks

If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes. Preheat the grill. In a bowl, combine the oil, lemon, red pepper flakes, garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss in the chicken to the marinade. This can be done ahead of time. Begin to thread the meat and veggies. I like to start and end with a piece of onion, it just seems to hold everything nicely. I alternate all the ingredients on the skewers. Baste the whole kabob with the honey mustard. Place the kabobs on the grill, it took about 10 minutes with the grill on a medium heat. We turned them occasionally to get those nice sear marks!

I served these with wild rice pilaf and a side of honey mustard for dipping. As you can see, you can get really crazy with the different varieties you can make with these and each time, I mix it up. These can be great to get rid of extra veggies you have in the fridge. We have even made just veggies kabobs to go with a grilled pork tenderloin. In that case, I marinated the veggies in Newman's Own Organic Family Style Italian Dressing beforehand and then grilled. Veggies kabobs are a great side dish! And EASY!

And, to finish off this post, had to post this beautiful picture of Jaxon! This is my mom's Aussie, and you know that my family LOVES aussies. I took this picture last time he came to visit, and tucher and I have to say that we miss you jaxon! Hope that you come visit soon! He is such a handsome dog, and very sweet! Oh, and what you don't see in this picture is Tucher right beside him being selfish by having ALL 3 tennis balls in his control, so Jaxon had nothing else to do but look so adorable!

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!! Kabobs are part of my favorite thing about summer...I'll have to try the eggplant on a skewer. I've never had grilled eggplant. Excited to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,we love kabobs and eggplant grilled is really yummy. Sometimes I cut it into circles, grill both sides then take it off, add marinara sauce and mozzarella and you have "healthy" eggplant dish...
    Do you do anything different with your kabobs that we should try???

    ReplyDelete