Monday, June 28, 2010

Guacamole

Perfect Summer Guacamole


The hot and humid summer has set in here in alabama, and I love it! Reminds me of Florida and how it is always hot and humid there! We had a little BBQ cookout with great friends and the guacamole went fast! So, here is my recipe for the guacamole. I don't really follow a person's particular recipe, so I will call it mine! After all, there is only so many ways to make guacamole!

Guacamole:

3 avocados (ripe) - skins removed
Juice from 1/2 of a lime (FRESH)
Handful of Fresh Cilantro, washed and finely chopped (add more or less to your taste for cilantro)
2-3 heaping spoonfulls of sour cream
1 jalapeno - seeds removed and finely diced
1-2 garlic cloves - minced (add less if you don't like garlic as much as we do!)
Sprinkle of Salt
Sriracha Sauce - just a couple of squeezes (this stuff goes a long way - spice wise, but it adds the heat and it "was" my "secret" ingredient)
If you like tomatoes, chop those and add to the guacamole!

Place ingredients in molcajete, stir together with a spoon or fork. I like mine kind of chunky so don't over mix if you like yours this way, if you like it creamy, continue mixing! Guacamole is as simple as that! Make sure to buy higher quality yellow or blue corn chips. This refreshing appetizer will be a real crowd pleaser!

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Ever since we got you guys that molcajete Austin has been all over me about getting one! LOL

    I've never put sour cream in my guacamole - love the idea. And shocker... you put sriracha sauce on yours. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, of course we like it spicy! I put sriracha sauce in almost everything! We love our molcajete, thanks to you and Austin, and we use it all of the time. You definitely need to get one (especially with the entertaining you do)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I just tried to make guac for the first time this weekend, and it wasn't as delicious as I would have liked - love your recipe...

    Question though - how can you tell if the avocados are ripe? what should i look for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Davy: I pick ones that are kind of soft when you grab them. You don't want them to be hard and you don't want them to be really mushy when you squeeze them. Somewhere right in the middle is what you are looking for if you plan on eating them that day or the next. If you buy them earlier in the week and know that they have time to ripen, you buy the harder ones. A quick way to ripen them is to place in a paper bag on your countertop! Hope this helps, guacamole is soooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make my guacamole almost exactly the same way! Its amazing isn't it?

    ReplyDelete